John Allen Room

Born to active members of the Quaker movement, Allen met many of a similar belief in school where he learnt Greek and mathematics. Allen worked a five-year apprenticeship under his uncle as a wool-stapler where, many years later, after favourable market conditions arose he was able to buy many of the local properties. During this time, he was also prospered from local mining although he retired, in 1830, in order to educate his daughters as well as continue in hobbies such as astronomy. He also released a book titled ‘The History of the Borough of Liskeard’ in 1856.

On Display

This room currently holds part of a collection owned by local ‘Toy Man’ Phil Chapman. With lots of automobiles, dolls and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, this room will spark memories for a lot of our older visitors.